4,984,340 protects the process of using streams of
highly-pressurized liquid to collide with cloth fibers to effectively
intertwine and sew the fibers of the cloth together. Additional features
- Device to hold the pieces of cloth together.
- Water streams compressed to pressures between 300 and 1000 kgf/cm2.
- Nozzle diameters between 0.01 and 0.05 mm.
- Covering unit to suction and remove excess water from material while
it is being sewn together.
- Jet streams are directed from opposite sides to the same point of
contact on the cloth pieces to intertwine the fibers.
The system permits the nozzles to move relative to the
cloth for convenience and efficiency.
On April 1, 2001, the National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and
Technology began operations as the "new" AIST. The new AIST is a research
organization that comprises 15 research institutes previously under the
former Agency of Industrial Science and Technology in the Ministry of
International Trade and Industry and the Weights and Measures Training
AIST is Japan's largest public research organization with research
facilities and more than 3,200 employees across Japan.